Thursday, December 22, 2011

#3 - Themes

What are you trying to say with this show? Is there a message, or is just entertainment?
One of the themes of the Princess Knight is that you don't have to be what anyone tells you you have to be. That is something I've lived my life by. Everyone seems to think they know how things are supposed to be, what you are supposed to do, but if every person is unique and different, how can anyone say what anyone else is supposed to be or do? We all have our own paths to walk, so the giant can be small, the evil witch can have a crush, and the hero can be ANYONE. We should never settle with "that's how it's always been". We should be ready to let life take us to new and exciting possibilities!
The whole show can be summed up with the lyrics from the opening song of the Second Act, "A Whole New Baron":
My how things can change from one day to the next.
You think you know how things will work, that it'll turn out like all the rest.
But it can only take a moment to choose a whole new path.
It can only take a moment to become a whole new man.

... or woman, or son, or wolf, or you, or a whole new anything.
As an uncle, I've tried to share the joy of uniqueness with my nieces and nephews. I visit my Aunt's and sister's elementary classes every year and just spend a day entertaining the kids with art and stories. I draw on the board - cartoons and silliness - and tell stories about what I've done with my life from kindergarten to today. I'm being a goof, sure, but what I try to leave them with is the knowledge that they can be who they are, and though people will judge them, in the end, being YOU is the best thing to be. It might be a bit hokey, but I it's something that I wish someone would've told me when I was in my more impressionable years.

No comments:

Post a Comment